Spotlight 2021 May; July ; August
Spotlight Shows 2021
CALL FOR ARTISTS
The Norcross Gallery and Studios is pleased to announce their Call for Artists for the artist-hosted SPOTLIGHT Art Shows 2021. The shows are open to all Norcross Gallery and Studio members who design and create their own work in any of the following categories: Painting, drawing, mixed media (2D, 3D), sculptures, photography, ceramics, fiber art, and wood. 2D artwork to not exceed 48” 48” and must comply with the standards of the Norcross Gallery and Studios (see membership guide on Gallery website). 3D artwork must fit on a gallery pedestal. There will be 3 SPOTLIGHT Art Shows at the following exhibition times:
SPOTLIGHT 1: May 10 – July 1
SPOTLIGHT 2: July 5 – August 26
SPOTLIGHT 3: August 30 – October 21
Each show will be hosted by 8 artists. Deadline for application is March 26th by noon. Artists may indicate their first, second and third choice for a SPOTLIGHT show to increase the chance for entry in one show as the spaces may fill up quickly.
Please email your choices to both firstname.lastname@example.org and JeannieFortin@me.com) to apply for the spotlight space. We will discuss any questions in the next Zoom meeting. Watch out for the meeting invitation.
Artist- hosted show instructions
Norcross Gallery and Studios will provide the room and wall hanging equipment for a donation of $25 per artist. The exhibiting artists of each spotlight group will organize all parts of the exhibition:
- Selection of the art that meets the Norcross Gallery and Studios standards.
- Hanging of the show with professional labels (Avery 15662) for each artwork (labels include: Title, artist name, medium and price)
- Sales of artwork. Sales must be made payable to the artist. The artist then makes out a check for 25% of the sales price to the gallery.
- Assignment of two artists to gallery sit during open hours on Friday 12pm – 6pm and Saturday, from 11am – 4pm, during the exhibit dates.
- Assignment of a contact person that takes the role as spokesperson for the group and corresponds with the Norcross Gallery.
- Art opening and/or closing receptions. There will be a blackout period from September 11-16. During this time no reception can be scheduled.
- Taking down the art show on the day following the closing date of each show. There are 4 days between shows that are reserved for taking down the show and hanging the next show.
Further instructions can be found under Special Events (see below).
During 2019 our spotlight artists have gathered some useful suggestions to organize the tasks:
There are usually 2-3 Group meetings necessary about 2 weeks before the exhibition:
Group meeting 1: Getting to know the artists
The purpose is to get to know each other, exchange photos of artwork and decide on suitable pieces and numbers of artworks to exhibit in the show. At this meeting a name for the show is chosen and the contact person assigned, that will communicate within the group and with the Norcross Gallery.
Group meeting 2: Identify the tasks and responsibilities
In this meeting the artists will compile a list with tasks, the people responsible for each task, and dates to accomplish the tasks.
Typical tasks are:
- Decide who will be the corresponding contact to the Gallery. This person will contact Jeannie Fortin to (Jeanniefortin@me.com) to coordinate the days that the artists need access to the gallery. The contact will also coordinate the hanging and take down of the show and communicate with the next spotlight artists.
- Hang and take down the show.
- Make labels.
- Make spotlight poster (for help making the spotlight posters contact Cynthia Corbin (email@example.com)
- Print spotlight posters to hang at the gallery door and distribute them amongst the downtown businesses.
- Advertise on social media and invite friends.
- Decide details for an art reception(s) (e.g. date, time).
- All show members need to fill out the gallery entry form (which will be provided by the Norcross Gallery)
COVID safe event settings
Norcross Gallery and Studio enforces the CDC guidelines for COVID safety. A mask must be worn in all gallery spaces and social distancing must be followed. Visitors are restricted to 10 people in the gallery at one time.
Weather permitting; a greeting table and chairs can be placed outside for the opening event. This will allow people to await their gallery visit safely. Food should be avoided unless it can be served as single wrapped item. Beverages are to be served only in one way cups and masks and gloves must be worn for service.
Norcross Gallery and Studios Guidelines
A special exhibit is an exhibit that is not coordinated by Norcross Gallery and Studios. Special Exhibits will focus on a theme, medium, or group of artists. The participants must be Norcross Gallery and Studios members. Contact the Gallery/Exhibition Coordinator to propose a special exhibit.
• Participants must be a Norcross Gallery and Studios member in good standing. Participants will name one contact person who will work with the Norcross Gallery and Studios Gallery/Exhibition Coordinator.
• All special exhibits featured in the Norcross Gallery and Studios gallery will continue the high quality of work that Norcross Gallery and Studios members have come to expect. See the membership guide, on our website, for more information.
$25 per participant (a non-refundable fee).
Length of the featured exhibit:
• The exhibit will be scheduled for a minimum of 4 weeks during normal Norcross Gallery and Studios Gallery hours.
• The setup and take down dates and times must be adhered to by the participants.
• The hanging will take place the days before the date of the show opening. The take down date will be completed by day following the closing date.
• Walls must be repaired, if necessary. Exhibition Coordinator has details for best repairs.
Sales and Donation:
• A 25% donation will be given by the artist to Norcross Gallery and Studios for all sales during the exhibit.
• All sales are to be made payable to the ARTIST.
Participants will be responsible for the gallery sitting during open hours on Friday, from 12 pm – 6 pm and Saturday, from 11am – 4pm, during the exhibit dates.
Marketing an Exhibit:
• Marketing beyond the normal Norcross Gallery and Studios publication outlets and Evite will be the responsibility of the participants.
• If required, special arrangements (for a fee) to design a poster (other than the normal exhibit poster), postcards, and/or flyers can be made with Norcross Gallery and Studios artist Cynthia Corbin.
Reception and cleanup will be the responsibility of the participants in the exhibit. A $125 fee will be charged if the facility is not left in the manner it was found.